lunes, 16 de diciembre de 2013

2014 Reading Challenges: Reading Outside The Box

Yet another challenge! It's easy to get stuck in our comfort zones as readers and never get out. I strive to read varied, so I was delighted when Alison at The Cheap Reader announced the Reading Outside The Box Challenge.




Participating is pretty easy.
  1. You have all of 2014 to read a book for each square.
  2. A book can only count for 1 square. There will be 25 books for this challenge.
  3. The books read for this project can come from other projects you’re participating in: school, review books, other challenge or events, books for fun.
  4. If you blog, keep a post/page for the challenge. Update the post/page when you read a book for the challenge with a link to your thoughts/review of the book. Make sure to state which square the book counts for!
  5. If you feel like it, write check in posts every few months. Update us on how you feel about the ‘new’ books you’re reading.
  6. Alison will keep a page for people to add review links to. It would be nice to see how others are feeling about the challenge.
I don't want to write a list of the books I want to read for each category. There are some categories which made me think of a particular book the moment I read them, but there are others that still have me scratching my head. If you have suggestions for good audiobooks, romance or self-published novels, please leave them in the comments! I'm really out of ideas for those categories.

I don't know whether I'll complete this challenge. After all, I've only read 25 books this year. However, I'm sure that it will push me outside of my comfort zone and will help me discover new books that would have gone under my radar.

Books read (titles link to my reviews):

1. Second Chance: The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes - Anonymous
2. Reading by Ear: Trafalgar - Benito Pérez Galdós
3. Graphic Novel: Watchmen - Alan Moore
4. Adult Fiction: A Tale for the Time Being - Ruth Ozeki
5. Non-fiction Book: Women Heroes of World War II - Kathryn J. Atwood
6. Middle Grade Fiction: The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
7. Young Adult Fiction: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs
8. Biography or Memoir: Fun Home - Alison Bechdel
9. Poetry or Novel in Verse: It's Hard to Be Hip Over Thirty - Judith Viorst
10. Try a Classic: The Court of Charles IV - Benito Pérez Galdós
11. Read a Chunkster: A Dance with Dragons - George R.R. Martin
12. Relive the Magic: The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
13. Loved by Others: The Puppet Boy of Warsaw - Eva Weaver (it has a 4-star rating on GR)
14. Historical Fiction: Fireflies - Ana María Matute
15. Award Winner: Nada - Carmen Laforet (it won the Nadal Award on 1944)
16. Mystery: Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
17. Lost in Translation: The Pillow Book - Sei Shōnagon (it was originally written in Japanese)
18. Contemporary Fiction: Night Film - Marisha Pessl
19. Gathering Dust: Saplings - Noel Streatfeild
20. Romance: Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
21. Accidentally Watched the Movie First: The Mystery of the Black Jungle - Emilio Salgari
22. FantasyThe Children of Húrin - J.R.R. Tolkien
23. Science Fiction: The Age of Miracles - Karen Thompson Walker

Categories Left: Picture Book, Self Published

4 comentarios:

  1. I love books that make me read outside my comfort zone, so I'm thinking of doing this one too. First I have to narrow down the list of challenges I'm thinking about to a reasonable number though. I hope you have fun with one :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I actually found this challenge through your list. You had a lot of challenges there, so it's understandable that you want narrow down the number!

      I hope you end up joining this one - it's one of the best I've seen to push you out of your comfort zone.

      Eliminar
  2. This year I discovered an amazing audiobook narrator - Jim Dale. I highly recommend any of his books. His narrations and character voices are spectacular. I listened to him read The Emerald Atlas by John Stephens and I'm planning to listen to Peter & the Starcatchers by Dave Barry this year. Both of those series are narrated by Jim Dale.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you! I've been doing some research on Jim Dale and his skills as an audiobook narrator are incredible!

      I think I'll listen to either Emerald Atlas or The Night Circus.

      Eliminar