viernes, 26 de abril de 2013

The Stack

So... just one day until the read-a-thonOf course I won't read this much, but I wanted to have options. This is what I have in my stack:




1. Within a Budding Grove - Marcel Proust 
    Second volume of In Search of Lost Time. I have already read a few pages of this one, but not enough to finish it in the read-a-thon. It is extremely slow-paced. I average 10 pages per hour. Shameful. But I count on advancing my reading quest a little.

2. Good Evening, Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories - Mollie Panter-Downes
    Short stories as palate cleanser. This is a collection of 21 short stories written during World War II for The New Yorker. They explore different aspects of the London home front.

3. The Victorian Chaise-longue - Marghanita Laski
    Timetravel in a chaise-longue. A 1950s woman lies down to rest and wakes up in Victorian era. But nothing is light-hearted here, this is a tale of true terror showing the stifling moral standards of the time.

4. A Tale for the Time Being - Ruth Ozeki
    The interwoven stories of a Japanese bullied girl on the verge of suicide and an American novelist, united by a Hello Kitty lunchbox found ashore after the 2011 tsunami.

5. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
    Futurist dystopia-ish world full of retro pop culture references. Need I say more? This is the single book I'm more excited to read during the read-a-thon.

6. The Hand that First Held Mine - Maggie O'Farrell
    Two apparently disconnected stories revolving around two different women embarking in motherhood for the first time, one in modern day London, the other in the 1950s. In usual O'Farrell fashion, the two separate timelines finally converge in (what I expect to be) an awesome way.

7. Zone One - Colson Whitehead
    A literary take on the post-apocalyptic world full of vampire-like creatures. It was very acclaimed when it was published in 2011.

And for when I'm sick of reading, I'll be saving The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter. Re-visiting Peter Rabbit is always a pleasure.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario en la entrada